Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Joy of Eating

Today's blog is different from the others as this is something I wrote while I was recovering from major oral surgery a few years ago. I was on a diet of pureed foods for almost 3 weeks and had plenty of time to be quiet and contemplate. This is one of my journal entries from that week of introspective and suffering...

"I sit here full of pain and silence. Contemplating the intricacies of life and the complexities of humanity. Silence gives you introspective time. Talk is cheap and can at times fill the air with such negative energy. Silence is priceless and allows you to feel the positive energies constantly around you, letting you be still, letting you hear all that happens around you every moment that usually is cluttered with talk. Look at the bright side of this painful and uncomfortable week of swollen mouth. Rest, relax, be gentle, walk slowly, breath, feel, listen, and watch.
Watching life has been interesting to me these past few days. Watching life when you have very little of it makes you really appreciate it. Combine that with not being able to eat solid foods and you really begin to see and feel things differently. The beauty of a grilled, plump veggie burger loaded to the brim with toppings, being bit into and enjoyed is amazing. It is hard to describe my moments of watching and yearning for the everyday tastes of ordinary foods. I watch the burger being quickly devoured, I listen to the crunch of the toasted bread and notice the lost pieces of lettuce that fall to the sides before making their way into the mouth. The strength of the human jaw and teeth to tear apart this structure and digest it into a form of energy makes me awestruck! The sheer joy of eating is one that we all too quickly ignore.
Oh how I miss biting into a warm slice of gooey jelly coated toast or a creamy yet sharp piece of cheese or feeling the crunch of cereal crackle amongst my teeth. The feel of salty peanut butter stuck to the roof of my mouth while I try fervently to remove it with my undulating tongue. The sweet juice of a fresh strawberry that bursts out upon my bite into it and the residue that taints my front teeth a pale pink. The crispness of an apple while my teeth barrel through its initial tough exterior only to reveal a surge of sour delight.
Sweet teeth, how I love you so madly. I truly appreciate your strength and fortitude and helping me in this human form enjoy the beautiful art of eating. The tastes, the textures, the smells, the lusciousness of it all. Oh how I miss you right now and pray for your rapid recovery. No longer will I take advantage of you hard working little teeth and I will constantly thank you dearly for your efforts!"

Just a simple reminder to be thankful everyday for your amazing body and for being with health, and to appreciate the art and joy of eating.

No comments: