Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Love Affair With Pesto

Fresh basil....mmm, I just can't get enough of it. Its piquant aroma, vivid green color, and Italian roots puts me under its spell. Tonight I decided to make a pesto from the basil I picked up at the farm stand the other day, and serve it on top of whole wheat penne pasta. Pesto is incredibly easy to make, but seems so gourmet. I beefed up the gourmet factor by using macadamia nuts (since I am in Hawaii) and a drizzle of white truffle oil. Oh yea baby... who's the top chef now!

Pesto - makes 2-3 servings
1 bunch of fresh basil, washed and dried
1 clove garlic

salt to taste

1/4 cup macadamia nuts

1/4 cup shredded parmigiano reggiano cheese

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

drizzle of white truffle oil


In a food processor puree basil, garlic, and a sprinkle of salt. Add macadamia nuts and blend. Add cheese, olive oil, and truffle oil and blend until a creamy consistency. Adjust olive oil and salt amounts to taste and texture. Serve over warm pasta or with a hot toasty baguette or straight from the bowl. Divine.


At first taste I was hooked. I think fresh pesto is going to be a staple in my diet from here on out. My pesto pasta dish was enjoyed under the starry sky overlooking the nighttime view of the Maui coastline. It was almost reminiscent of the pesto pasta dish I enjoyed in the Cinque Terre, Italy back in May...except, now the Italians might kill me for saying this, I actually enjoyed mine better. Cinque Terre is an amazingly gorgeous part of the world and is known for its pesto and focaccia, which I indulged in frequently. Leave it to the Italians to take a few simple, fresh ingredients and create delicious, beautiful cuisine. I think I did a good job learning from them!

No comments: